Tuesday, September 24, 2013

You’re In Over Your Head...

The lyric is from the chorus to “You Run,” by The Call: 



Biking errands Tuesday.
 
“So you run and you run and you run and you never stop. / And you work and you work and you work until you drop. / You’re in over your head and the pressure just don’t quit. / But you can’t escape the reach of love.”

I think in a way the song is like Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall.” It’s about avoidance, seclusion, separation, retreat from society. It’s not really me, so I’m not sure why it stuck with me, why of all the songs in my playlists from Saturday and today it is the one that spoke to me. Maybe it’s the “run” in the title. Unlike “The Wall,” there is an underlying hope in “You Run,” or rather a message of hope to the subject of the song: You run, but you can’t escape the reach of love.

Again, not really my issue. I got no problem with love. At least in the sense of the lyrics of the song, which unfortunately are not out there on the Web like so many others, which means you’ll have to take my word for it, because I’m not about to transcribe the song for you. Well, maybe I will. We’ll see. This person is shut off from society, incapable of sharing love or accepting love. And yet, love finds him/her. Or at least love is there.  

I think the message is that you can try to wall yourself off for whatever reason, but others still will reach out to you with love and caring. You can run and work and flail under the pressures of life, but love will find you. And I’m mostly talking about that platonic, familial love. Agape, is it? The love of those who care about you. Separating it from the Christian definitions: “unselfish love of one person for another without sexual implications; brotherly love.
 
Ironically, my working title for this lyric-analysis blog was “The Doomed Traveler,” chosen because of the “Magic: The Gathering” card I found during Saturday’s run. The card reads: “When Doomed Traveler dies, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature todn with flying onto the battlefield.” A quote at the bottom reads: “He vowed he would never rest until he reached his destination. He doesn’t know how right he was.”

I knew of a traveler Saturday, and prayed no doom awaited. But I took the card as no omen. Simply an oddity among my many odd finds. My traveler, as it turns, was not doomed, but was beset with trial and tribulation. But the journey was made and all was good in the world. If I may be so hyperbolic. The working title was chosen before I knew what angle I would pursue. And I chose the lyric angle because I had nothing else. I happen to love the music of The Call. That’s all.

Note of explanation: I include 5 buckeyes in today’s treasures because I worried I might not find anything worthwhile on my run. My neighbor to the east has a buckeye tree, just as my folks do in the yard of my boyhood home, so I stopped to pick up a few before really getting going. Of course there’s a joke somewhere there with my name and poor vision. And the buckeye candy (peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate) is delicious. So it just seemed a good idea.
 
After finding the broken earbuds and the TSC scarf, I pitched the buckeyes into the yard when I got home. You’re welcome, squirrels.

Today’s Stats (Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2013)
Temp: 74 degrees F
Distance: 3.74 miles
Weekly Distance: 3.74 miles
Treasure: 1 Tractor Supply bandana triangle, red; 1 pair pink earbuds (broken); 1 makeup brush; 5 buckeyes; 3 cans.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle)
White Flag – Dido
New Deep – John Mayer
When Will You Come Back Home (live) – Ryan Adams
Radio – Matchbox Twenty
Everyone – Van Morrison
Let’s Be Friends (Skin to Skin) – Bruce Springsteen
Wrapped Around Your Finger – The Police
Bonus – C+C Music Factory
The French Inhaler (live) – Warren Zevon
 
Today's Stats (Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013)
Temp: 55 degrees F (69 after my shower)
Distance: 8 miles
Weekly Distance: 12.64 miles
Treasure: 1 eyeglasses soft case; 1 Magic: The Gathering Card, Doomed Traveler (in protective sleeve); 1 San Francisco 49ers helmet sticker;  1 dinner fork; 28 cans.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle)
Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
Busted – Matchbox Twenty
Caught Up In You - .38 Special
How Long – Matchbox Twenty
Welcome To The Machine – Pink Floyd
Red Barchetta – Rush
Raspberry Beret – Warren Zevon
A View To A Kill – Duran Duran
Push – Matchbox Twenty
If It Makes You Happy – Sheryl Crow
I Want Your Sex (Parts 1&2) – George Michael
Save A Horse/Ride A Cowboy (The Remix) – Big & Rich
Splendid Isolation – Warren Zevon
Thru' With The Two Step (Live in Houston) – Robert Plant
Heartland – U2
You Run – The Call
In The Air Tonight – Phil Collins
Dry River – James McMurtry

No comments:

Post a Comment