Thursday, June 20, 2013

Overdue



I strode into the Galesburg Public Library on Tuesday afternoon to pay my fines. I’d let a book go overdue and in a lapse of all mental faculties returned a library DVD (on time, mind you) to the video store on Losey Street. 

The book thing sometimes just happens, and frankly I’m happy to pay library fines because it helps the cause. But the DVD mixup was downright idiotic. You see, library DVDs are kept in black display cases with the original cover art, while Family Video keeps its DVDs in clear plastic cases with a couple of identifying stickers on them. The difference is obvious, yet I was on a mission that day, cycling around town on errands that took me past the video store. It made sense at the time, so I stopped and deposited the movie in the drop-box slot and went about my business.

Sorting email at work the next day I see a reminder from the library that my movie – “AmericanReunion” – was due the next day. Then it hit me. D’oh! And oops. And Crap, too. I eventually returned to the video store to ask if anyone had noticed the misplaced movie and set it aside for the dolt who left it there. Nope. Next I went to the library to see if maybe someone had indeed spotted my error and simply returned the video on my behalf. Hey! There was a copy on the shelf. But were there two copies in the library collection? An overdue notice assured me they did not have the copy I had checked out.

Back to Family Video. This time the library DVD was there, set aside behind the counter. The helpful employee explained that a co-worker had intended to take it to the library but forgot. The disc back in my possession, I headed straight for the library and deposited it in the media drop-box at the back door and departed. I had no cash on me at the time, so the fine would have to wait.

I don’t know how long the DVD and the book were overdue, but it seemed a long time. Library fines are paltry, but I thought for sure I’d built up a whopper.

“I need to pay my fine. I think it’s about $40,” I said.

“What!?” exclaimed incredulous circulation staffer Angela.

“Well, it’s probably not that bad,” I admitted.

“Just seems that way,” she said with understanding.

I explained what had happened and she assured me I wasn’t the only one to have done that. And the library has been the recipient of rental returns intended for the video stores. They say misery loves company. Well, so does idiocy.

Anyway, my fine totaled all of $1.40. I handed over $2 and told Angela to keep the change.

Whew! Now that’s off my chest, I can get on with telling you about my run today.

It’s been two weeks since I hit the streets. Overdue. It’s been probably two months since I carried a bag on a run for scavenging. Long overdue. Even after I set out a bag I almost walked out the door without it. The run felt great. And I had that exuberance afterward – you know, the shout-to-the-world joy of accomplishment and simple pleasure?

Figured I should finally put my sore old legs to the test before I decide for sure about Saturday’s Blick Art Materials Railroad Days 5K/10K. Good thing, because when D3 Molly showed up unexpectedly tonight she declared her interest in doing the 5K. Guess we’ll be running for sure. D2 Amanda begged off, claiming she’s not prepared. Funny, she made quite the show of running unprepared last year – no training, no sleep.

That’s OK, saves me $25 (failed to register early out of my uncertainty). We’ll miss her company, though. Now I just have to decide if I’m gonna run the 5K or the 10K. Leaning toward the latter as it will serve as a good warm-up (if a month early) for the Bix 7. I wasn’t sure about that one a week ago, but all my Facebook friends who commented on a post I made to pose the question, “To Bix, or not to Bix?,” chimed in with the Nike slogan. I couldn’t let them down.

Anyway, the bag came in handy, though I’ve no great stories about fun finds along the route. I picked up 9 cans and a crusty penny. One of these days I’ll have a doozy of a story for ya. Just you wait.  

Today's Stats
Temp: 80-82 degrees F
Distance: 3.2 miles
Weekly Total: 3.2 miles
Treasure: 9 cans, 1 penny

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Restless – The Usual
Dream Weaver – Gary Wright
Love Song For No One (live) – John Mayer ("Never, ever, ever ... underestimate the power of 'I'd like that.'")
Here We Go, Let’s Rock & Roll – C+C Music Factory
I Will Survive - Cake
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - Cake
Roll With the Changes – REO Speedwagon
Feel – Matchbox Twenty (Seeing these guys again in 19 days).
Armageddon It – Def Leppard

No comments:

Post a Comment