Wednesday, June 5, 2013

National What? Day



I typically don’t feel compelled to celebrate made-up days of recognition and honor. I don’t gobble gerkins on National Pickle Day. I’ve not even embarked on an editing spree on National Punctuation Day, though I kind of do that daily anyway. 

But bike to work I do during Bike to Work Week and on Bike to Work Day, though again I do that most days as a matter of routine. And I decided today I would attempt a run, despite my still-aching muscles and bones from the Galesburg Half Marathon Express just two days ago. I figured I’d make it a short one, just to show my support for National Running Day.

Only one word worried me: Zingers.

No, I’m not talking about the Dolly Madison snack cakes, though I’ve enjoyed my share. I’m talking about that tingly twinge that struck in my right foot during the half marathon. It returned last night even as I lolled on my couch, watching “(500) Days ofSummer” and perusing Facebook status updates and online dating profiles (boring, btw). Every time I wiggled my foot a little – stretched it up or down, raised my heel, put my heel down, took a step to the bathroom or the kitchen – that zinger zapped through my non-existent arch and up my second toe.

That’s a bit disconcerting. It continued in bed and when I awoke. Then, oddly, I never really felt it during my run. Maybe something was just out of whack. Some nerve was pinched or misaligned and now it’s not. I don’t know. I’ve been through a bout of sciatica that disappeared as mysteriously as it began, but this wasn’t the same pain – different location, different origin, or so it seemed.

Anyway, here’s what National Running Day is all about, according to runningday.org:

That's my dad and sister cheering as I cross the finish line Sunday.
National Running Day, held annually on the first Wednesday in June, is a day when runners everywhere declare their passion for running. Wherever we are and whomever we’re with, we run—fast or slow, alone or with others, all over town or just around the block. It is a coast-to-coast celebration of a sport and activity that’s simple, inexpensive, and fun. It’s the perfect way for longtime runners to reaffirm their love of running and for beginners to kick off a lifetime and life-changing commitment.

So here is my declaration: I run because I can. I run for fitness, to knock off a few pounds (work still to do there). I run to be free and to free my mind. I fun to smell the fresh air and to see the city from a different perspective. I run to test myself. I run to prove myself. I run for the exhilaration of it. I run to meet new friends. I run because.

Here's how you can celebrate, whether a day or two late or next year on National Running Day.

Today's Stats
Temp: 66 degrees F
Distance: 3.5 miles
Weekly Total: 3.5 miles
Treasure: 4 cans, which I did not pick up. I really need to start taking a bag with me again.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Move On Up – Curtis Mayfield
Stranger Here … Than Over There – Robert Plant
Alone Again(Naturally) – Gilbert O’Sullivan
Life During Wartime – Talking Heads
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Wish You Were Here – Avril Lavigne
Back 2 Good – Matchbox Twenty
Heartbeat-It’s A Lovebeat – The DeFranco Family

No comments:

Post a Comment