Thursday, March 7, 2013

Love at Walmart


I didn’t really go looking for love at Walmart today. And it’s a good thing, ‘cause I didn’t find it. I was curious, though.

You see, the trivia tidbit on WKAY-FM this morning said more people experience “love at first sight” at Walmart than anywhere else. The basis for this astounding conclusion? A Psychology Today study that looked at Craigslist “Missed Connections” posts. Example: “If you were the hottie browsing the spandex at Walmart this morning, we need to hook up.” Or words to that effect.

According to an article at deathandtaxesmag, “After analyzing the column state by state, researchers found that in 15 states from Idaho to West Virginia to Louisiana, more people thought they saw their soulmate at Walmart than any other public place.”

Well, after hearing the radio blurb, I was curious. So I decided to have a look-see for myself. I needed a longer run anyway, and my Walmart route would allow me to kill two birds with one stone. 

When I arrived at the store I hit the men’s room to clear my sinuses; I’m sure a snot rocket in the entry would have been acceptable Walmart decorum, but I’m just not that kind of guy. I then made a circuit through the store, making sure to hit the feminine hygiene products area, housewares, women’s clothing and groceries – all the likely spots for hotties to be hanging out, bargain browsing.

Alas, I didn't see my soulmate. I did not spot any candidates for the next Playboy Women of Walmart spread. Nor did I see anyone fitting the stereotypical People of Walmart description (freakishly disgusting or otherwise simply freakish).

I’m not sure if I’ll take another scouting mission in the aisles of the store America loves to hate or if I’ll take aim at Target next time. Probably neither, but it’s a reminder to keep your eyes peeled wherever you are.   

Typical photo from People of Walmart. This one was titled "Panty Raid."
Today's Stats
Temp: 22 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 8.38 miles
Treasure: Nothing. Wasn't looking. Focused on running these days.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
SadSongs (Say So Much) - Elton John
Uptown Girl - Billy Joel
The Lie - Matthew West
Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling
Clocks - Coldplay
Crown - Collective Soul
Compliment - Collective Soul
Logical Song - Supertramp
Drink (Acoustic) - Fiction Plane
Unwell - Matchbox Twenty
From a Whisper to a Scream - Robert Palmer
Ruins of the Realm - James McMurtry
Judas - Lady Gaga
Holiday - Madonna
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

No comments:

Post a Comment