Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Back on Track



Let the training begin. That’s right, I returned to the streets today. God, did I just write that? Sounds like I’m periodically homeless or something. Well, I think you know what I mean. In case you don’t, let me explain.

I’ve been on hiatus for a week, nursing my sore left knee I must say a week of rest and nightly icing helped. Of course I was nervous about the return engagement. Would the knee be OK? Would it withstand the pounding? Or would the pain return straight off? Well, as it turned out, I felt a twinge within the first block. But it eased up as I went on and I remembered to ice it when I finished, which helped I’m sure.

I have to say, though, that I found it coincidental I should stumble upon this ad in a six-month-old Smithsonian magazine for the GetAroundKnee System – a knee replacement system “designed to replace the knee’s naturally circular motion.” Now, besides the curious coincidence of finding the strangely apropos ad as I flipped through an old magazine I’ve ignored for months, I was initially drawn to the ad because I misread the copy. The rest goes on to say, “Other knee systems follow an oval motion. Don’t just replace your knee. Replace the way your knee moves.”

At first blush I interpreted that all to mean the GetAroundKnee System did something different from your natural knee. You know, because it “replaces” your natural knee motion. As in substitutes something better than natural. So I was connecting it to my previous blog about man’s fascination with perfecting nature. But on further review, the point is that the GetAroundKnee System more accurately reproduces your natural knee motion than other knee replacement systems. Well, I get that now.

I gotta say, though, what really captured my attention with this ad was the groovy old portable stereo turntable. Pretty sure I had one similar when I was in junior high or so. I thought it was an ad for a cool, cheap retro turntable. Not that I need one, but you know. Even after I realized it was an ad for knee replacement, it took a minute to realize the image is warped to take a swipe at the oval motion of those lesser replacement knees. Guess it’s no wonder I’m not in advertising.

Today's Stats
Temp: 31 degrees F
Distance: 3.38 miles
Weekly Total: 3.38 miles
Treasure: Nothing

iPod Playlist (Part of an iTunes Genius mix based on “Bitch” by Meredith Brooks):
Downfall – Matchbox Twenty
She’s a Beauty – The Tubes
Fortress Around Your Heart - Sting
No One Is to Blame – Howard Jones
Rest Stop – Matchbox Twenty
Big Log – Robert Plant
Black and WhitePeople – Matchbox Twenty
Careless Whisper – Wham!

No comments:

Post a Comment