Monday, August 27, 2012

Another Return

OK, so Lost & Found has been on unscheduled hiatus for nearly a month. That’s a longer letdown than any of my previous lapses and I apologize for the withdrawal. Lack of motivation is a lousy excuse, but it’s all I’ve got for you. 

Today, though, I sort of started over. Maybe it began last night, or over the weekend in general. I got a new attitude, as the song goes. So, while I didn’t get up with the alarm at 6:40, I did manage to edge out of bed at 8:15, do some crunches and pushups and go for a little jog. It was rather the minimum but it was a good start to renewal.

I decided to make it an errands run. Who doesn’t like to run errands, right? Well, sometimes they’re a pain in ass, but at least if you actually “run” to do the errands or ride a bike to the store, there’s a benefit beside the task at hand. In the case of today’s run, the errands involved returns: a book to the library and a DVD to the video store. Guess I’ll have to add “Skinny Legs and All” by Tom Robbins to my Facebook note on “Books I Can’t Read.” I’m not proud of the list and I don’t like leaving a book before it’s finished. I made it halfway through “Skinny Legs” but lost motivation and, frankly, it’s overdue for the third time and it’s time to move on. The Sunday Night Movie was “Wanderlust,” which was pretty funny. Here’s an inappropriate scene to capture your interest.

Believe it or not, the summer drought has been paralleled in the Lost & Found department. It’s been no treasure trove out there on the streets of Galesburg this summer, with a couple of notable exceptions (tire iron, unopened beer). It was a sweet return to the road when I happened upon a blue and white cloth on Cherry Street this morning. Thought at first it might be a baby diaper wrap. Now I think it either a burp cloth or a polish cloth. It’s plush terry on one side and a smooth polyester on the other side. The towel is from a company called Greenbrier International Inc., which appears to be the parent of Dollar Tree stores.

Random note: It occurred to me as I rumbled along Fremont Street past King Gyro and made a right onto Cherry Street that some songs just make you want to dance. Now, it must be understood that I may be a lover but I ain’t no dancer. Oh, I got rhythm, I just can’t put it into motion in a visually appealing way. But that doesn’t stop me from doing it occasionally. More and more it seems in recent months. Anyway, “Walk Like an Egyptian” by the Bangles is one of those songs. As is Ben Lee’s “Catch My Disease.” Today it was “Egyptian” that had me on the verge of making a spectacle of myself along one of the Burg’s busier roads. One of these days, though, watch out for the flash mob of one.  

Today's Stats
Temp: 67 degrees F
Distance: 3.25 miles
Treasure: 1 fancy cloth (blue and white, burp cloth or polish cloth maybe); 7 cans.

iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
Castle Attack – Robert Kral (“Angel” TV show soundtrack
Tumbling Dice (Live ’72) – The Rolling Stones
Walk Like An Egyptian – The Bangles
Desperados Under theEaves (live at Wheeler Opera House) – Warren Zevon
I’m On Fire – Bruce Springsteen
Like a Hurricane – Neil Young

No comments:

Post a Comment